Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Falcons/Browns Dilemma



Tomorrow is going to be a difficult day for me as a football fan, because my beloved Atlanta Falcons will make the trek to Cleveland Browns Stadium to take on the team I've pulled for all my life.

On one hand, the Falcons are off to a wonderful start. I feel really good about our 3-1 record, and in my opinion the Steelers, the one team to whom we've lost, have established themselves as the best team in football right now, and nobody can disagree that we gave them a run for their money. The Falcons are legit this year. Our defense is formidable, and that's not something you could have said about the Falcons over the last few years. When we make mistakes, we correct them. Our guys play to win until time expires. We can pull out solid offensive drives when it counts. We can come from behind to win a game. I don't like to make bold, sweeping statements at this point in the season, but we've got all of the components we need to make the playoffs and be successful in postseason.

On the other hand, the Browns, at 1-3 for the season, stand very little chance of making the playoffs considering the start to the season and the toughness of their division. However, they've played each opponent tough and last week pulled off a win over division and in-state rivals the Cincinnati Bengals, who were a playoff team last year and have had a decent season thus far this year. My friend Dana implored me to root for the Browns, because she says, "they need a winning streak." They do! Browns fans are hopelessly optimistic. We have to be, otherwise we couldn't survive each devastating season. If we were to beat the Falcons, it could turn our season around! It could be the fresh start we've all been waiting for since Holmgren's arrival! I desperately want to see a new era in Browns football. I want this to be a playoff team. I want the Holmgren dynasty to bring some legitimacy to the Browns. I can't hope for the Browns to lose.

But I can't hope for the Falcons to lose, either. I'm too emotionally invested in both of these teams.

So, tomorrow at 1 p.m., I'll be watching. I'll be cheering, for both teams, on every drive. And at the end of the day, one of my teams will win, and one of my teams will lose. I'll be happy for the one that wins, and I'll be upset for the one that loses, and I'll be happy that it's over so I don't have to feel so conflicted about it anymore.

Maybe I should just hope for a tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment